Better Days Are On The Way
We’re all in this togetherCoronavirus (COVID-19) Update
We know that this is a confusing and distressing time for us all, and it may be difficult or impossible to know what to do about your future travel plans. Please know that we have changed our cancellation policies to assist you during this uncertain time, as we understand that you may need to alter your plans, based on the needs of family and friends in your group.
If you are unsure about your travel in the next month or two, we recommend that you consider moving your reservation to a later date if possible. We can easily apply your deposit to a later date. Many of our guests are choosing to do this so that they can vacation later in the year. Fall dates are filling up but there is still some availability; many winter dates remain open.
If you must cancel your trip, cancellations for bookings in April through June will be refunded in full, with no penalty. For our guests who have booked via Airbnb, we support the decision of Airbnb to provide full refunds. In addition, we have altered our cancellation policy for vacation rentals from 60 days notice to two weeks notice for a full refund, through August 2020.
If you have booked an event with us for spring or summer this year, we have already reached out to you and will continue to work with you to help you make the best decision for you and your guests.
Please know that as a Hospitality business, we share your distress as we are experiencing a severe downturn in our business. However, we remain open for future reservations and we are here to assist you – don’t hesitate to call us at (773)654-3959.